Hares: Burger Queen, Scuba Dooba Do Me
Start: Warbler Vista Parking – Balcones National Canyonlands
Better map to start: https://goo.gl/maps/C9EnkPnXDUgywRp38
Description to start.
1. US 183 north to FM 1431
2. Left on FM 1431 past Jonestown to Lago Vista
3. After Lohman’s Ford road, lanes decrease from four to two
4. Shortly thereafter, look for “Balcones Canyonlands” sign and turn right
5. Pass first parking lot and park at second parking lot (the one with bathrooms).
Sorry for the long drive. You can blame the wankers from Trail #2027 who hijacked our trail. Start is a 30 minute drive from Braker @ 183. Plan accordingly. You should be passing Braker @ 183 by 2pm for the 230pm call time. Pack off after 3pm.
Remember when we were doing solo picture trails in the early Covid days? I ventured far and wide across Central Texas in 2020 and discovered some new places. Now I’m going to share. Trail is part of the Balcones Canyonlands National Wildlife Refuge. So technically dogs are not allowed because they like to eat the protected wildlife, like Golden Cheeked Warblers. That being said, if you have a well-mannered dog you might be able to get away with it. I’ve never seen a park ranger while in these preserves but we’re not paying your ticket if you get one.
A-A, ~ 4 miles. Hot, dry weather. Bring water on trail. One nice beer check with some shade. Rugged terrain and elevation so bring your sturdy trail shoes. Bathrooms available at parking lot (but they’re pretty much fancy porto-potties, no running water).
On-After is going to be a circle vote.
- The Dig Pub in Cedar Park, about halfway back to Austin ~15 miles from start/on-in. Good food and beer, outside seating, and they like hashers. 401 Cypress Creek Road # 600, Cedar Park, TX 78613
- Copperhead Grille, ~4 miles from start/on-in in Lago Vista. Big outdoor area, kind of a biker bar. Burgers, sandwiches, shrimp. Less menu and draft beer than Dig Pub but probably cheaper. 6115 Lohman Ford Rd, Lago Vista, TX 78645
Check the calendar for any updates before you head out the door.